Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) is holding a seminar with the alliance of HUAWEI on 2nd August, 2010 in Karachi to inculcate the stakeholders on importance of 3G mobile phone technology. The seminar would stress on various aspects of 3G Mobile Broadband services and 3G spectrum auctions in Pakistan.
- The subject of seminar is “Demand for 3G and beyond”. Secretary IT, Naguibullah Malik, would be the chief guest on this event. IT & telecom industry experts, CEOs of telecom companies, representatives of chamber of commerce and media men will also attend the event.
- During the seminar speakers of national and international fame will focus on the benefits of 3G to: businesses, education, government, national economy, urban/rural public, local software houses and local contents development. They will also draw attention to the importance of high-speed infrastructure in accomplishing the benefits. Live Mobile –TV and 3G call scenarios would be demonstrated and a signing ceremony of MoU for infrastructure sharing between PTA and cellular operators of Pakistan will also take place during the event.
- Introduction of 3G services would result in great reimbursement to the national economy. Pakistan’s exchequer is already earning more than Rs. 100 Billion a year in the form of taxes from Telecom sector. Improved usage will further increase tax figures.
- PTA HAS BEEN ORGANIZING SEVERAL EVENTS TO PROMOTE 3G AND GET THE ATTENTION OF STAKEHOLDERS FOR INVESTMENTS. HIGH OFFICIALS FROM TELECOM MINISTRY PARTICIPATED IN THE EVENTS AND TOOK PART IN ITS PROMOTIONAL
- IN 2010, IT WAS ANNOUNCED SEVERAL TIMES ON DIFFERENT OCCASIONS THAT 3G WOULD SOON BE LAUNCHED IN PAKISTAN. THESE WERE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCNEMENTS BY THE CHAIRMAN OF PTA AND MINISTRY OF IT AND TELECOM.
- CHAIRMAN PTA ALSO SAID THAT TELECOM OPERATORS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING 3 LICENSES BECAUSE OF INVESTMENTS AND IT ALSO SOMEHOW INVOLVED THE LAW AND ORDER SITUATION IN PAKISTAN, IN TERMS OF MAKING INVESTMENTS BECAUSE THESE MAJOR TELECOMS HAVE ALREADY INVESTED ON A LARGE SCALE AND YET THEY HAVE NOT YET BEEN ABLE TO PROVIDE THEIR SERVICES ALL OVER THE PAKISTAN. MAKING INVESTMENT ON A BRAND NEW TECHNOLOGY WHICH THE TELECOM OPERATORS ARE NOT SURE HAVE A GOOD PROFITBALE SECURE RETURN IN PAKISTAN. INSTEAD OF TAKING NEW STEPS AND INVESTING IN INNOVATIVE VENTURES WITH HUGE INVESTMENTS, IT WAS PERHAPS ALSO THE REASON FOR DELAYING 3G LAUNCH BECAUSE THE TELECOM COMPANIES HAVE YET TO EXTEND THEIR SERVICES AND NETWORK IN RURAL AREAS OF PAKISTAN, WHICH IS A WORKING MODEL ALREADY.