PS5 owners have started a week-long boycott of Sony PlayStation services in protest against the company’s plan to stop producing physical game discs for new PlayStation releases from January 2028. The campaign, known as PSBlackout, began on August 23 and is scheduled to continue through August 30, with participants being asked to avoid using PlayStation services during the protest. Supporters have been encouraged to stay offline, avoid logging into PlayStation Network, stop playing games and refrain from making purchases through the platform. The campaign is aimed at demonstrating consumer dissatisfaction with Sony’s decision to move away from physical game releases and toward digital formats. Sony announced in July that physical disc production for all new games released on PlayStation consoles will end from January 2028, after which new games will be available digitally through PlayStation Store and at retailers. Sony said the decision reflects changing consumer preferences and the growing shift toward digital entertainment.
The PSBlackout campaign has attracted support from PlayStation users who prefer physical copies because they allow players to own a tangible version of a game rather than relying entirely on digital access. Campaign supporters believe that a coordinated reduction in PlayStation activity could send a stronger message to Sony than social media criticism alone. Participants are therefore being asked to avoid not only purchases but also regular PlayStation activity throughout the seven day period. The campaign comes after weeks of criticism from sections of the gaming community following Sony announcement about physical discs. The backlash has appeared across gaming forums, social media posts and PlayStation related announcements, with users repeatedly expressing concerns about the future of physical game ownership. Some gamers have also argued that physical copies provide benefits related to collecting, resale and game preservation, while others are concerned about relying entirely on digital stores for access to purchased games. The debate has consequently expanded beyond the discs themselves to broader questions about how players will own and access games in the future.
Sony’s decision applies specifically to new games released from January 2028 and does not affect games that have already been released or titles scheduled to launch before the cutoff with physical editions. According to Sony, existing games and games released before January 2028 in disc format will remain unaffected by the change. The company has described the transition as a response to the wider shift toward digital content, saying that digital formats have become significantly more popular among consumers. Sony has also indicated that it does not expect the move away from physical discs to have a significant negative impact on its business. Sony Chief Financial Officer Lin Tao previously said the company was moving cautiously with the decision while acknowledging that players have attachments to physical media. The company position has done little to prevent the ongoing criticism, however, with physical media supporters continuing to call for Sony to reconsider the plan.
The dispute has also affected reactions to unrelated PlayStation announcements, with gamers using trailers and showcases to express their opposition to the move toward digital only releases. The recent Phantom Blade Zero presentation, for example, attracted repeated comments from users protesting Sony physical media plans, despite the game itself not being responsible for the company decision. The PSBlackout campaign represents one of the most organised attempts by PlayStation users to demonstrate opposition to the change, although its potential impact on Sony remains uncertain. Some gamers have questioned whether simply staying offline for a week will influence the company, arguing that a reduction in spending on PlayStation hardware, games and services could have a more direct financial effect. For now, the boycott is giving physical media supporters a coordinated way to express their concerns about Sony’s future gaming strategy. The campaign is scheduled to run until August 30, after which its participation levels and any response from Sony could provide a clearer indication of whether the protest has influenced the ongoing discussion around physical game releases.
Follow the SPIN IDG WhatsApp Channel for updates across the Smart Pakistan Insights Network covering all of Pakistan’s technology ecosystem.