After the appointment of Chairman and Members of Pakistan Telecommunication Authority, the government of Pakistan is all prepared to auction 3G licenses in Pakistan.
- The government, in this regards, has finalized the policy directive for the auction of long awaited 3G licenses in the country.
- As per information that we have got, a high-level committee has been formed to expedite the auction process.
- Pakistani consumers have been waiting for 3G networks to get better data connections over mobile phones for years. Earlier in 2011-12, at least two efforts for auction 3G licenses failed due to various reasons.
- Anusha Rehman, Minister for IT and Telecom, during a briefing to media yesterday said that at least four telecom companies operating in Pakistan have shown serious interest in acquiring 3G licenses. Along with local operators, government is also hoping that foreign operators will take part in the bid.
- Pakistan government is eyeing USD 800 million to USD 1 billion from the auction.