- It has been learnt that Telenor is pursuing it aggressively. But in the view of social perspectives, I fear there would be bad impacts upon the society.
- I fear that once we get this new technology, we will see more negative usage of technology in future. In recent past history, we have witnessed the worst kind of privacy issues, concerning hidden cameras and recordings and it’s still out there as a cancer in ill-minded people. People like to use technologies for instance, transferring of video streams online. THERE IS STILL NO COMPLETE GRPS COVERAGE IN RURAL AREAS WHICH INCLUDE MOST OF PAKISTAN.
- MOBILE PENETRATION RATE IN PAKISTAN IS EXTREMELY HIGH WHICH GIVES BIRTH TO A HUGE SPACE WHERE NEW TECHNOLOGIES CAN BE ADOPTED. THOUGH 3G HAS STILL NOT BEEN LAUNCHED IN PAKISTA, BUT THE LOCAL MARKET HAS REMARKABLY MOLDED ITSELF TO LATEST APPLICATIONS AND DEVELOPMENTS THAT BASICALLY REQUIRE A 3G PLATFORM TO RUN. FOR EXAMPLE, THERE ARE VARIOUS MOBILE TV APPLICATIONS AND OTHER NETWORKING AND MOBILE APPLICATIONS THAT ARE SLIGHTLY HEAVIER FOR GPRS AND EDGE, BUT STILL THEY ARE LAUNCHED AND BEING USED ON A HUGE SCALE IN PAKISTAN BECAUSE THE MARKET IS COMPLETELY READY TO ADOPT NEW TECHNOLOGICAL CHANGES EVEN AT A RURAL SCALE. EVERYONE NOW TENDS TO HAVE A SMART PHONE IN URBAN AREAS, USING ALL THE LATEST APPLICATIONS AND BASICALLY DOING ALL MAJOR BUSINESS AND SOCIAL NETOWRKING TASKS WHILE MOBILE. THE MARKETS ARE NOW SHIFTING FROM WEB TO MOBILE AND THAT ALSO PLAYS A HUGE ROLE IN BOOMING MOBILE TECHNOLOGIES, MAKING IT A POTENTIALLY PROFITABLE DOMAIN FOR INVESTORS AND LOCAL MARKET TELCOS. EVEN THE FOREIGN COMPANIES HAVE ACKNOWLEDGE THE CHANING TRENDS IN PAKISTAN ARE GOING TO BE VERY PROFITABLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
- BUT ARE WE REALLY READY IN EVERY ASPECT FOR DEPLOYMENT OF 3G ON A LARGE SCALE?
- I am not against technology… I love technology; but I stress upon the limits and privacy concerns. We don’t have any laws if someone breaches our privacy. There is cyber terrorism law but who cares to go to police station to file a report when you are threatened by cyber criminals.
- What if media people start giving money to the people who provide them with video streams. You can smell the rat by now!!!
- 3G (third generation) is a collection of international standards and technologies.
- 3G increases efficiency by improving the performance of mobile wireless networks.
1G – 2G – 3G
- 1G – Analog networks
- 2G – Digital wireless phone on circuit switched networks
- 3G – Digital wireless phone on packet switched networks
- Up to 144Kbps in a high-speed moving environment (Present)
- Up to 384Kbps in a low-speed moving environment (Present)
- Up to 2Mbps in a stationary environment (Future)
Note: The speed for 2G is 9.6 kbps – 14.4 kbps.
- Take on-line shopping for example. You will be able to view and select still images of merchandise, then make payments from your electronic wallet (Digital Catalog Shopping).
- Video Mail
- Mobile Banking
- Digital Information Delivery (Audio and Video)
- Directly connect to a home automation system and be able to turn on/off home appliances such as lighting and air conditioners.
- You will have a greater control of your home security system by displaying security monitor images on your cellular phone terminal display.
- Retrieve vital business information from anywhere around the world.
- Conduct video conferencing with branch offices and business partners.
- Send/receive customer and sales data.
- Not all handsets are 3G ready
- Higher revenue consumption
- Network roll-out investment
Revenues From 3G
- Charging for network access and airtime.
- Charging for content and value-added services or transactions (NTT i-mode).
- There will be a lot of e-commerce opportunity once the 3G is wildly used; however, finding the one golden opportunity is going to be challenging.
- TELENOR HAS BEEN IN THE NEWS SOMETIMES ABOUT SWAPPING FROM 2G TO 3G AND SOMETIMES ABOUT HIRING OTHER COMPANIES FOR DEPLOYEMENT OF 3G INFRASTRUCTURE FOR THE COMPANY